This is a list of general online resources related to the themes of the group. These are all free and open access.
Lectures and other video material
- Yale courses : lecture format (45mins)
- Crashcourse : amusing 10-15 minute episodes, especially on world history
- The partially examined life : philosophy podcast, discussion format, about weekly, 1h30
- In our time, podcast with Melvyn Bragg on a range of subjects, 45 mins, guided discussion with academics
- Internet encyclopedia of philosophy ; peer-reviewed resource
- Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy
- The major philosophical works of the Western canon (plus Confucius) are considerably abridged at Squashed Philosophers. There is also a “very, very squashed” version if you have even less time.
- For an even briefer and entirely iconoclastic look at philosophy and philosophers, check out the blog at www.philosophybro.com.
None of these is perfect for our purposes as they tend to be more goal-oriented than our discussions will be, but all give useful ideas. You may also find them useful for professional purposes. If anyone has a better resource, let me know!